Monday, September 7, 2009

Greenmarket Pepper Corn Muffins

There's a small shop near my work called Mitchell London that has the most amazing jalepeno cheddar corn biscuits. Today, I decided that I'd attempt a non-spicy version of them, and get in some cross training with a bike ride to the Union Square Greenmarket.

Serendipitously, I ran into a friend just as I was pulling my bike out the door and we went together. I got some amazing fresh corn, red and green peppers, basil, peaches, yellow wax beans, and the most beautiful tomato. I am waiting for it to sprout legs and start tap dancing and winking at me because it looks like it belongs in a cartoon. The tomato is that cute.

Anyway, we had a great ride and I came home and decided to follow Alice Waters' recipe for corn bread from The Art of Simple Food, with some variations.

Preheat Oven to 425

Mix together:

3/4 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 T sugar
1 T baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt

Pour into a pyrex measuring cup or another medium sized vessel:

1 cup milk, and whisk in 1 egg

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg/milk mixture, and whisk until smooth.

Melt 4 T butter and mix into everything else. Here, I added my peppers and corn.

Pour the batter into a buttered 8 or 9 inch baking dish, or 12 buttered muffin tins (or silicone pans, which I used, and absolutely love b/c you can eliminate the buttering).

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until you can insert a toothpick an have it come out clean.

They came out ok, but I wish I had added more peppers and corn. I added about 1 and 1/2 cups, and I would double it. I'd also add some grated cheddar cheese, as well as a dash of pepper. Maybe nix the sugar above as well. I used white corn meal, and would use yellow next time because it has a nicer color, and instead of mixing in flour, I would have used cornmeal exclusively. Otherwise, they came out nicely, and would make a nice breakfast bread or snack.


No comments:

Post a Comment